Discover Korean Food 75: Dr. Sook-Ja Yoon’s “Deodeok-Saengchae, Deodeok Salad”
Deodeok-Saengchae is thinly ripped Deodeok roots mixed with spicy and sour seasonings. Deodeok is referred to as Sasam (ginseng from sand). It is high in saponin like ginseng and bellfolower roots. In Oriental medicine, it is considered a health food that is good for the stomach, and strengthens the lungs, intestines and kidney.
[Ingredients & Quantity]
300 g deodeok roots, 400 g (2cups) water, 6 g (1/2 tbsp) salt
* Seasoning sauce: 12 g (1tbsp) sugar, 15 g (2&1/2 tsp) red pepper paste, 4.4 g (2 tsp) ground red pepper, 2 g (1/2 tsp) salt, 14 g (1 tbsp) minced green onion, 5.5 g (1 tsp) minced garlic, 2 g (1 tsp) sesame salt, 15 g (1 tbsp) vinegar)
1. Trim and wash the deodeok roots, skin, and slice them into 0.5 cm-thick (210 g)
2. Soak the sliced roots in salt water for 30 min. to get rid of bitter taste. Pot dry with cotton cloths.
3. Press and roll the roots with wooden roller and rip up around 6 cm-long and 0.3 cm-wide and thick (205 g).
4. Blend seasoned red pepper paste.
Mix the doedoek roots with seasoning sauce together.
* Doedoek roots may be slightly pounded with wooden mallet after pad dying.