Discover Korean Food 79: Dr. Sook-Ja Yoon’s “Eochae, Parboiled Sliced Fish Fillet and Shell Fish”
Eochae is a dish of parboiled white fish fillets and vegetables with starch coating that are colour-coordinated and placed around a dish. It is served with a vinegar red pepper paste sauce. Because it is a chilled dish, milder white flesh fish, such as gray mullet or croaker, should be used.
[Ingredients & Quantity]
300 g (1/2 body) croaker, 1 g (1/4 tsb) salt, 0.3 (1/8 tsp) ground white pepper
50 g (1/4 ea) cucumber, 20 g (1 ea) red pepper, 15 g (3 sheets) brown oak mushrooms, 2 g stone mushrooms
30 g mung bean starch
60 g (1 ea) egg
5 g (1/2 tbsp) pine nuts
1 kg (5 cups) water
Vinegar red pepper paste: 38 g (2 tbsp) red pepper paste, 15 g (1 tbsp) vinegar, 6 g (tbsp) sugar
1. Remove the scales of croaker and wash. Slice fillets from both sides of the croaker, peel the skin off. Wipe water with cotton cloths, cut them into 3 cm-wide, 5 cm-long and 0.3 cm-thick (170 g). Marinate them with salt and ground white pepper for 10 min.
2. Wash cucumber cleanly and cut into 4 cm-long. Then cut them into 1.5 ~ 2 cm-wide, 4 cm-long and 0.5 cm-thick (35 g).
3. Wash the red pepper and halve it lengthwise. Seed and cut into same size cucumber (10 g).
4. Soak mushrooms in water for I hour, remove stems of brown oak mushrooms, wipe water with cotton cloths (17 g). Wash stone mushrooms by rubbing, remove belly button, wipe water with cotton cloths, cut it into same size of cucumber.
5. Panfry egg for garnish strips, cut into same size cucumber.
6. Remove tops of the pine nuts and wipe the nuts with dry cotton cloths.
7. Blend vinegar red pepper paste.
1. Mix cucumber, red pepper, brown oak mushrooms, stone mushrooms and croaker slices with mung bean starch thoroughly.
2. Pour water into the pot, heat it up for 5 min. on high heat. When it boils, scald cucumber, red pepper, brown oak mushrooms and stone mushrooms for 30 sec. respectively. When the starch become clear, take them out, cool them down in water, and drain. Scald the slices of croaker for 1 min. When the starch become clear, take them out, cool them down in water, and drain (190 g).
3. Place the croaker slices, cucumber, red pepper, brown oak mushrooms and stone mushrooms on a dish roundly, top with pine nuts in the centre.
4. Serve with vinegar red pepper paste.
* White flesh, such as sea bream and flat fish are recommendable for this fish.