Discover Korean Food 76: Dr. Sook-Ja Yoon’s “Samhap-janggwa, Three Braised Delicacies”
Samhap-janggwa is a dish of three kinds of seafood (mussels, abalone and sea slug) braised with beef and seasonings. Nowadays, the seafood is cooked alive, but in olden days it was dried then cooked after soaking in water because the amino acid and taurine content increases during drying, and it enhances the taste.
[Ingredients & Quantity]
160 g abalones, 1 ㎏ (5 cups) water
60 g soaked sea slug
100 g mussel, 600 g (3 cups) water, 8 g (2 tsp) salt, 400 g (2 cups) seafoods scalding water, 2 g (½ tsp) salt
50 g beef (top round)
4 g (1 tsp) sesame oil
3.5 g (1 tsp) pine nuts
Seasoning sauce: 3 g (½ tsp) soy sauce, 2 g (½ tsp) sugar, 4.5 g (1 tsp) minced green onion, 2.8 g (½ tsp) minced garlic, 2 g (1 tsp) sesame salt, 4 g (1 tsp) sesame oil
Braising sauce: 27 g (1½ tbsp) soy sauce, 2.8 g (½ tsp) ginger juice, 48 g (2½ tbsp) honey, 100 g (½ cup) water
1. Clean the abalones with brush and wash. Take out the flesh and remove entrails. Slice it into 4 cm-wide, 3 cm-long and 0.5 cm-thick, maintaining abalone shape.
2. Wash the soaked sea slug and halve it lengthwise, then cut it into 2.5cm-square.
3. Cut off the whiskers from the mussel, rinse in salt water softly.
4. Clean blood of beef with cotton cloths, cut it into 3 cm-wide/long and 0.3 cm-thick, season with seasoning sauce.
5. Prepare pine nuts powder.
1. Pour water into the pot, heat it up for 2 min. on high heat. Scald the abalones, sea slug and mussel for 30 sec. respectively.
2. Put braising sauce into the pot, heat it up for 2 min. on high heat. When it boils, lower the heat to medium, continue to oil it for another 7 min. When the braising sauce is dragged, put the beef and braise for 2 min. Add abalones, sea slug and mussel, braise it for 3 min. with sprinkling broth to set a gloss on. Mix them with sesame oil together.
3. Place on a dish and top with pine nuts powder.
* Braise seafoods on medium heat slowly, or it may become tough.