Discover Korean Food 80: Dr. Sook-Ja Yoon’s “Haemul-kalguksu, Hand-style Noodle Soup with Seafood”
Haemul-kalguksu is a soup made with hand-style noodles and seafood. ‘Kalguksu’ refers to noodles that are kneaded by hand then shredded with a knife. The broth for kalguksu varies according to the ingredients. Anchovy broth, chicken broth and beef broth are commonly used.
[Ingredients & Quantity]
190 g (2 cups) wheat flour, 4 g (1 tsp) salt, 60 g (1 ea) egg, 50 g (¼ cups) water
14 g (2 tbsp) wheat flour (additional flour)
50 g (¼ ea) potato, 50 g pumpkin, 20 g green onion, 5.5 g (1 tsp) minced garlic
50 g shrimp, 200 g (1 cup) water, 1 g (¼ tsp) salt
30 g oyster, 200 g (1 cup) water, 4 g (1 tsp) salt
200 g thin shelled surf clam, 400 g (2 cups) water, 6 g (½ tbsp) salt
Hand rolled noodles soup : 2.2 kg (11 cups) water, 50 g radish, 30 g anchovies, 10 g dried shrimp, 20 g kelps, 3 g (½ tsp) clear soy sauce, 4 g (1 tsp) salt
1. Add salt, beaten egg and water into the wheat flour and knead. Wrap it with cotton cloths and let it sit for 30 min. (350 g). Press and roll it with wooden roller to be 0.2 cm of thick. Sprinkle additional flour all over the top surface. Roll the sheet again and cut it into 0.2 cm of width.
2. Wash the radish for the soup cleanly and skin (45 g).
3. Remove the head and internal organs of the anchovies (26 g). Wipe the kelps with damp cotton cloths.
4. Wash the potato, skin and cut it into 0.5 cm-thick as half moon shape (45 g). Clean the pumpkin, peel the skin off into flat strips, shred into 0.3 cm-wide (30 g). Clean the green onion and cut them diagonally (17 g).
5. Wash the shrimps and oysters by soft swinging in the salt water. Put salt and water to the thin shelled surf clams and let it sit for 30 min. for the clams to spit out the watery sediment.
1. Preheat the frying pan and stir-fry anchovies and dried shrimps on medium heat for 2 min.
2. Put the radish, anchovies and dried shrimps in the soup water, boil it on high heat for 10 min. When it boils, add the kelps, reduce the heat to medium, boil it for 10 min. more. Strain the soup, and blend noodles soup with salt and clear soy sauce (1.8 kg).
3. Pour the blended soup in the pot and heat it up on high heat for 9 min. When it boils, add the noodles, potato, pumpkin and seafoods, boil it for another 5 min. Season with minced garlic and green onion, bring it to a boil.
* Some raw bean powder may be added to the noodle dough.
* Hand rolled noodles may be available in the market.