Discover Korean Food 78: Dr. Sook-Ja Yoon’s “Janggukbap, Rice in Beef Soup”
Janggukbap is a dish made of cooked white rice in long-simmered beef broth, seasoned with soy sauce. In olden days, when a big event or festival took place in the royal court, janggukbap was served to the mobilized soldiers, musicians, dancers and singers because this dish is convenient for serving to the many people.
[Ingredients & Quantity]
300 g (1⅔ cups) non-glutinous rice, 400 g (2 cups) water
13 g (1 tbsp) edible oil
6 g (1 tsp) clear soy sauce
6 g (1½ tsp) salt
600 g (4 bowls) warm steamed rice
80 g soaked bracken
80 g skinned bellflower roots , 4 g (1 tsp) salt
150 g bean sprouts , 100 g (½ cup) water, 1 g (¼ tsp) salt
Broth: 200 g beef (brisket·shank), 200 g (1/5 ea) radish, 2.4 ㎏ (12 cups) water
Seasoning sauce①: 6 g (1 tsp) clear soy sauce, 9 g (2 tsp) minced green onion 5.5 g (1 tsp) minced garlic, 0.3 g (⅛ tsp) ground black pepper
Seasoning sauce②: 9 g (½ tbsp) clear soy sauce, 7 g (½ tbsp) minced green onion5.5 g (1 tsp) minced garlic, 2 g (1 tsp) sesame salt, 4 g (1 tsp) sesame oil
1. Wash the non-glutinous rice, soak in water for 30 min. drain water on a strainer for 10 min.
2. Clean blood of beef with cotton cloths, put the beef and radish in the pot. Pour water into the pot and heat it up for 10 min. on high heat. When it boils, lower the heat to medium, boil it for another 20 min. Take the radish out from the pot, and simmer for 40 min. more. Take the beef out and cool the broth down and filter through cotton cloths (1.3 kg).
3. Cut off durable part of the bracken, wash and cut it into 6 cm-long (75 g).
4. Cut the bellflower roots into 6 cm-long, 0.3 cm wide/thick. Fumble with salt, rinse in water and squeeze the water out (65 g). Remove the heads and tails of bean sprouts, wash them cleanly (140 g).
5. Blend seasoning sauce ①, ②.
1. Put water and the rice in the pot, heat it up for 3 min. on high heat. When it boils, continue to boil it for another 4 min. lower the heat to medium, boil for 3 min. When the rice become sodden, lower the heat to low, steam it for 10 min.
2. Cut the boiled beef and radish into 2.5 cm-wide, 3 cm-long and 0.5 cm-thick. Season with seasoning sauce①.
3. Season bracken and bellflower with ⅔ of seasoning sauce ②. Preheat the frying pan and oil, stir-fry the bracken and bellflower for 2 min. respectively on medium heat.
4. Put the bean sprouts, water and salt into the pot, heat it up for 1 min. on high heat. When it boils, lower the heat to medium, boil them for 3 min. and season with remained ⅓ of seasoning sauce ② (110 g).
5. Pour the broth into the pot, heat it up for 5 min. on high heat. When it boils, add the seasoned beef, radish, bracken, bellflower roots and bean sprouts, boil them for 2 min. When it boils again, lower the heat to medium, boil for another 10 min.
6. Season with clear soy sauce and salt, bring it to a boil.
7. Place warm steamed rice in a bowl and add the beef soup.
* Do not boil bean sprouts too long, or it may become tough.
* Green onion, salt and/or ground red pepper may be added upon taste.