Discover Korean Food 89: Dr. Sook-Ja Yoon’s “Jeonbokjuk, Rice Porridge with Abalone”
Jeonbokjuk is a delicacy made of sliced abalone and non-glutinous rice. It has a sweet taste, nice aroma and is rich in nutrients. It has been served as a noble dish in the royal courts since early days. Blue jeonbokjuk is a special delicacy cooked with abalone entrails. It is blue in color and has a bitter taste.
[Ingredients & Quantity]
225 g (1¼ cups) non-glutinous rice
400 g (2 ea) abalone
13 g (1 tbsp) sesame oil
1.6 ㎏ (8 cups) water
6 g (1 tsp) clear soy sauce
2 g (½ tsp) salt
1. Wash the rice, soak in water for 2 hours, drain water on a strainer for 10 min. (275 g).
2. Wash and clean the abalones with brush, take out the flesh by spoon, remove the entrails and slice into 0.3 cm-thick (150 g).
1. 1. Preheat the pot and oil with sesame oil, stir-fry rice for 1 min. on medium heat, add abalones, stir-fry together for 2 min.
2. Add water, boil it for 6 min. on high heat. When it boils, lower the heat to medium, cover the lid, and boil for another 30 min. with stirring occasionally.
3. When the porridge is well-done, season with clear soy sauce and salt, bring it to a boil.
* Cooking abalone porridge with abalones entrails, in blue color, may be an another choice.
* Sliced abalones may be replaced by minced abalones.