Discover Korean Food 58: Dr. Sook-Ja Yoon’s “Back-Bong-Ryung-Sauce-Haesam-Zim”
Back-Bong-Ryung-Sauce-Haesam-Zim is a steamed sea cucumber dish mixed with prawns and a Poria cocas wolf sauce.
Steamed sea cucumber is diuretic and good for Nephritis, Cystitis, and Edema. It helps boost the stamina and especially good for pregnant women. Therefore it is called a “Ginseng of Sea” in Oriental medicine.
160g Sea cucumber, 1/4tsp salt, 1/8tsp pepper powder, 1/2tsp refined rice wine, 1/2tsp sesame oil
100g prawn cocktail, 1 egg, 1/4tsp ginger juice, 1/4 salt, 1/2tsp refined rice wine
2 dates, 10g pea, 1 chestnut
Starch water: 1tbsp, starch powder, 1tbsp water
Back-Bong-Ryung-Sauce: 15g Back-Bong-Ryung-Powder, 2 tbsp starch powder, 1tsp dark soy sauce, 1tsp minced ginger, 2tsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp honey, 2cups water, 1/2tsp salt, 1/4tsp pepper powder
1. Soak the sea cucumber in water for a day. Remove water and season it with salt, pepper powder, refined rice wine, and sesame oil.
2. Peel the prawns. Mince them after taking out the inside. Season them with the ginger juice, refined rice wine, egg white, and salt.
3. Apply the starch powder inside the sea cucumbers. Fill them with the prawns and roll them with a piece of cotton.
4. Cut the dates in 1cm2 after taking out thestones.
5. Make the Back-Bong-Ryung-Sauce: Boil the chestnus, dates, peas after pouring the sauce, water, and Back-Bong-Ryung-Powder.
6. Steam the sea cucumber for 5~10 minutes. Cut them in 1cm depth. Place them on a plate and dress them with the Back-Bong-Ryung-Sauce.