Discover Korean Food 63: Dr. Sook-Ja Yoon’s “Oi-sobagi, Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi”
Oi-sobagi is a type of Kimchi made with slightly fermented cucumbers that have been slit and stuffed with seasoned Korean leeks. Oi-sobagi may also be served without fermenting.
[Ingredients & Quantity]
600 g (3 ea) cucumber(white), 30 g coarse salt
saltwater : 380 g water, 20 g coarse salt
50 g small wild leaks
15 g (1 tbsp) salted shrimps
seasoning : 28 g (2 tbsp) minced green onion, 16 g (1 tbsp) minced garlic, 4 g (1 tsp) minced ginger14 g (2 tbsp) ground red pepper, 4 g (1 tsp) salt
stuffed cucumber liquid : 45 g (3 tbsp) water, 1 g (¼ tsp) salt
1. Clean the cucumber by rubbing with salt and wash, cut them into 6 cm-long (515 g), put 3~4 knife slits on it, inside of 1cm on both sides.
2. Marinate cucumber in salt water for 2 hours, drain water on a strainer for 30 min.
3. Trim and wash small wild leaks, cut them into 0.5 cm-long finely.
4. Mince the solid ingredients of salted shrimps.
1. Prepare filling stuffs with small wild leaks, salted shrimps and seasoning sauce by fumbling with hands.
2. Fill up the slits on the cucumber with seasoned filling stuffs.
3. Put the stuffed cucumber into a jar. Add water and salt in the mixing container to make stuffed cucumber Kimchi liquid, pour it into the jar and press the cucumber down.
* Young and straight cucumber is good for this Kimchi.